Saturday, November 3, 2007

Virtual Classrooms

Article
http://www.yaleherald.com/archive/xxxi/2001.02.02/features/exclusive.html

Summary

"Internet's next big conquest may just be the schools. The possibility of getting a digital diploma without ever setting foot in a classroom is not at all remote" Especially since our society has become so reliant on the internet, it is no surprise that students will be able to attend all their classes online. Virtual classrooms will enable students to participate in not only individual learning activities but group ones as well. With virtual classrooms, students will have the opportunity to interact with their teachers and even their parents through the group discussions. I think that this will give parents the opportunity to interact with their student's education and provide accurate feedback. Students can actively participate virtually to complete quizzes, homework activities, online courses, webquests, and forums. Virtual classrooms also give a more organized setting by offering unit overviews (for parents and students), student grade sheets, calendar and timetables, and student homepages. Virtual classrooms let students actively participate in the classroom when school hours are closed. The students curriculum will always be at access to them, and easier to retrieve. Teachers absent on sick leave or attending a professional development activity can leave work for their students in their Virtual Classroom and check progress. Virtual classrooms allow students to participate in learning at any time of the day. It involves more interaction among classmates and even gives parents the opportunity to participate in their student's education. I personally think virtual classrooms offer an easier, more proficient way into education.

By Alyson Sode

Ideas Regarding the Topic

I think that Virtual Classrooms are a great thing! They provide the ability for students to learn even when not in the classroom. They also give the ability to learn to students who can not go to a traditional classroom. I couldn't agree with the article more though. Virtual classrooms already have many technological advances but I think that with movies, sound clips added it would make it that much more effective. While Virtual Classrooms do have their downsides like never being able to one on one help with the teacher they are a great addition to the Education World.

By Katharine Eastham

This article says it all. One day you may not even have to step foot into a classroom to get your diploma. Virtual classrooms may someday take that place. Virtual classrooms have many benefits for students, including taking away that ever present fear of stating your opinions in the classroom. Distance learners then also wouldn't have to make the commute for class. Technology may need to advance a little before someone can take all their classes virtually and graduate, but the possibilities are endless, and it is in sight.

By Laura Kvaley

Opinions on the Topic

Virtual Classrooms have their pros and cons. Many people love the thought of not getting out of bed to go to class at 8:00. With the use of virtual classrooms students can access their classes whenever it is convienent for them, unless of course the professor has an assigned time where the student has to be online to participate in a discussion or something. One of the cons of virtual classrooms is that children will lose the face to face interaction with other students. Some students will live a sheltered life because the only interaction they get with other people is at school. Virtual classrooms still allow you to have interaction, it's just over the internet and not face to face. With class sizes growing the way they are these days, virtual classrooms are becoming more and more popular in the school system. I like having a couple online classes, I don't think I would want them all to be virtual, but I do like the thought of having a few.

By Christina Dunlop

Further Research

Virtual Classrooms appears to be the wave of the future with elite univerisities such as Yale and Princeton joining the program University Alliance for Life-Long Learning. It is all too common for students to be able to earn a degree or certification without ever stepping foot into a classroom on campus. The attached article describes the plan of the University Alliance for Life-Long Learning to better the education for everyone with e-learning. This offers all people a chance to have "ivy-league" education with big name faculty and prime conditions over the internet. However, this type of experiment does not go without doubt, "There is a deep interest in all of this to find out what works and how educators should learn and teach when you don't have the communication richness of the classroom," said Long of Yale. "Online you have to be much clearer with pedagogical goals. You have to anticipate problems."

By Sarah Cappel

17 comments:

Sam Miller said...

I do like your summary, but i thought you guys could of broken it into sections so it would be easier to read. I feel that one day you won't have to go to a single class everything soon will be virtual. I know for most of the college casses areoffered online. You could graudtae college one day without ever stepping in a classroom. Pretty interesting.

Melissa said...

I enjoyed reading the article your group summarized. Virtual classes are being offered through so many schools it is certainly a possibility to earn a degree without ever physically attending a class. I was surprised to learn how much money schools like Yale and Harvard are investing to virtual classrooms.

Khrystine Bosland said...

I loved how you started with a quote! It really got me interested in reading the rest of the article. I also liked how you added opinions at the end. I think it was a little short, but the information inside it was really good. It was very interesting! It made me read the entire article without getting bored. Good job this week! Very interesting!

Lindsay Boyer said...

Internet's next big conquest may just be the schools. The possibility of getting a digital diploma without ever setting foot in a classroom is not at all remote. I liked how you guys started it out with such a strong quote! It really made me laugh and seriously made me think that someday this may happen. I think you guys are the group that doesn't really like to break your summary up into sections or bullets. I am telling you-it would really help and be eye-appealing. You guys do have good information and opinions though. I liked the comment about 8am classes-Yes I would rather have it virtually; then I would be more involved, b/c I am not a morning person (but I've adjusted). Good job-group six:)---Lindsay Boyer

Cassie said...

i liked how you added your opinions into your post. i also enjoyed reading your article, i felt that it flowed very smoothly. a lot of good information in a short post. this made it a lot easier to read without drifiting off thinking about something else. good job!

Paula said...

The idea of a Virtual Classroom is wonderful, but even knowing people who received their degrees not even living in the same state as their college I can't image never attending at least one class. I feel that they will always be room for both, and maybe in the future you should have to have a little online and on campus classes to increase your learning.

Judy said...

There are pros and cons to using a virtual classroom. The more education classes I take, the more I realize the truth that teaching is a balancing act of teacher and technology. I enjoyed reading the comments from your group.

Kali Fain said...

I like how you guys showed everyone’s input and interpretations. I also liked how you mentioned to pros and cons to virtual classrooms. You guys had some interesting information, great job group six!

Sara Shannon said...

I think the beginning summary was good. I liked how is talked about that teachers, parents, students will all be able to interact effectively with virtual classrooms. This doesn't always happen in the regular classroom. Good job!

Jacob Zwack said...

It is an interesting read, no doubt, but I think you should have seperated it into sections more. Looking at a "wall of text" as some people call it, makes the otherwise enjoyable read a little frustrating. You had a wealth of information present, just needed to be broken up a bit. I liked you how you mentioned Yale and Princeton becoming more involved in Virtual Classrooms, I didn't know that they were doing that.

Unknown said...

Great start to your blog, it was very informative. Plus you added a lot of great points about how virtual classrooms are expanding so much in the education field. The only thing that I would change, is the format of your blog. By splitting up focus points, I think it would focus you blog more!

Morgan said...

I like how the article started off with "Internets next big conquest may just be the schools." I agree with that statement. I like how the article told the pro's and con's of virtual classrooms. I wish the summary expanded more upon the article and not so much on other people's opinions (even though they were interesting to read and I agreed with most of them).

Alison Francis said...

I really liked your article. Seemed very interesting. It is crazy how technology has advanced. We probably will be able to get a degree in a few years with out ever stepping foot in a classroom.

Natalie Kavey said...

I like how your group divided up the information on virtual education. Having a summary at the beginning was good because it gave me a lot of background information. Although maybe you could have have broken it down with some bullets to not make it so long. I do like how your blog has opinions on the topic. The part where you brought up how virtual education can lead to sheltered students and social problems is a good point. A classroom is the first place where students can interact and build soical skills.

Jerrica Iverson said...

I enjoyed your article and I think the summary was well written. I also liked the way yall gave the pros to virtual classrooms.

Leah said...

The fact that you started with a quote really caught my eye. I like that. however, I thought for your final summary of the article it could have been broken up into different sections. Also, if you had some pictures that catches the readers eye as well and looks more appearing. you provided good information, and liked all the that everyone in your group had to say.

Kami said...

I liked that everyone had their input. The reason why i like that is becuase everyone had a different focus. I didn't read the same thing over again. I saw pros and cons, how it works at a university, what Virtual classrooms are. I can see that it was very organized by the way you divided it and i liked that a lot. Great job!